I know I’m a day late, but I was celebrating on a beach yesterday afternoon, and busy being pulled behind a boat.
For those of you American’s who’s education on our great home is depressingly lacking, here’s some facts about Canada:
- Canada is the second largest country in the world (the US is not the largest)
- We are a constitutional monarchy, but run by parliamentary democracy
- Canada consists of 10 provinces (like States but much larger) and 3 territories
- The basic framework of the Canadian constitution is contained in the Constitution Act of 1867
- We rank in the top 10th percentile of all countries in the world for Quality of Life, Environmental Sustainability, Freedom of the Press, Global Peace and Economic Freedom
- We were ranked number 1 in the Human Development Index 10 times out of 16 between 1980 and 2004, due in no small part to our health care and education systems
- And we enjoy an international reputation practically unparalleled world-wide, making Canadians welcome visitors in virtually every country on the planet
- Oh ya, and we don’t attack other countries to seize control of their resources or fund our own leader’s personal bank accounts… our leader’s just fund their personal bank accounts by stealing directly from us. Which is slightly better, because no one dies in the process… but still pretty crappy… I guess politicians suck no matter what country you come from.